Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What to do?





Click on above picture to view little surprise reflected in mirror.





I missed out on a mirror on ebay last week because I forgot to take into account that parts of Australia are on daylight savings time now but here in Queensland we are not. I sent the seller a message and they were more than happy to have me take it off their hands so I got it for the list price of $50.

Now that I have it I am not sure what to do with it!

It has a distinctly neoclassical feel which I used to be "into" and still like some of those elements but that "look" is a little austere for our humble abode. The mirror has an unusual snakeskin-like surface on the side facings of the frame and large gold "knobs" along the top. It's definitely not shabby, or hamptons, or french provincial, so I'm just not sure what "treatment" to give it.

Any ideas people???? Take a look and tell me your thoughts.

The mirror that is on the wall in the picture is another ebay find and doesn't "go" with much in my house but I really like it. I'm thinking of giving it a coat of paint. Either that, or sell it to make room for the new mirror...I'm running out of walls you see. My solution would be to buy a bigger house but thankfully I have a sensible, frugal husband and we will be mortage free sooner than we would if I had my way.

9 comments:

Paint Me White said...

Hi Ange, great size mirror. I would get the white paint onto it straight away. Can see it looking like one of those mirror in a dressing room with all the round globes around it. Will make a big difference with a coat of paint. Sandy

Donna Reyne' said...

I love the size and scale...but I agree it needs a coat of paint!
Have a wonderful weekend Ange! blessings...donna

Natasha in Oz said...

So nice to hear from you over at my blog and thank you so much for the sweet words of encouragement. Re the mirror, some white paint for the frame would be perfect but I think the mirror would be great as a chalkboard...perhaps in the kitchen? Have a wonderful weekend, NM.

The Pink Poodle said...

Hi ange...jeez..you are an ebay guru re buying stuff..I am too busy trying to sell!!

OKAY..I think i have to agree with sandy on this one..
she is spot on...& the makeover guru..so what she says ... I agree with..
HAS TO BE white...whiteish!!

ps..i havent been any help at all really..

xx andrea

brismod said...

Have you thought about a metallic or black? Just giving you another path if you were unsure about white...Whatever you decide you MUST show the after shots!

Pineapple Villa said...

Hi Ange - have you decided what to do yet? I am thinking black like brismod said may look great or what about a french grey? Look forward to seeing you work your charm. I am so in the mood to paint/remodel stuff but no time!
Mel xxx

Renae Moore said...

Ooooh la la, thanks for coming by! You have a fun blog!
xx

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Just found your blog, and it's very interesting. I love both mirrors. That would be a really hard decision. Hugs, Marty

The Pink Poodle said...

HI ange...soooo glad you followed MY advice re the makeover of the mirror!!! just jokin!

CLEVER girly you painting stripes..JEE wiz..I think MINE would be SQUUIWif!! (how do you spell that word??)..

anyway..looks FAB...
well done...

xx andrea